Pre-Surgical Screening services are provided by a team of professional registered nurses overseen by the Clinical Services coordinator and supported by clerical associates.
Call 402.552.2493 (or toll-free 800.552.8802) between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
The screening may take 20 to 30 minutes to complete. The length of the screening will depend on your health history and the number of medicines you are taking.
This screening may help prevent any unnecessary delays or a cancellation of your surgery. One of our nurses will review your history, medicines and allergies as well as other important information before your visit.
When You Call, Be Ready to Review the Following Information:
- The date of your procedure
- Medical record number (if you happen to have it)
- Names of any and all doctors involved in your care
- The procedure you are receiving
- Medical health history, including past surgeries and dates
- Current medicines and allergies
- Information regarding any preoperative work-up you have had, or will be having, before your surgery
- Instructions you have been given by your physician or surgeon
- The make and model number of any implanted device that you may have such as a pacemaker, defibrillator or brain stimulator
- Isolation needs
- Any other special instructions
- Note: If you are unable to speak with a pre-surgical screening nurse by 5:30 p.m. the day before your surgery, please call 402.552.3224 up to 10 p.m. the night before your surgery. Ask to speak to the charge nurse.
What We Cover
To ensure you are given safe and quality patient care, the following elements will be addressed either by phone or an in-person interview:
- Contact of the patient to complete the pre-operative health history
- Provision of pre-operative teaching and education
- Referral to proper authority such as Social Work and home health agencies
- Completion of all applicable documentation
- Support of the continuum of care by contributing to the Nursing Plan of Care and Discharge Planning process
- Initiation of the medical record for the planned visit
- Coordination of retrieval of old medical records and Advance Directives
- Initiation of the medical record and retrieval and initiation of Advance Directives
- Coordination with pre-anesthesia services
- Retrieval and review of pre-operative diagnostic test results as applicable
- Receipt and initiation of physicians orders as appropriate
This program is also staffed with personnel who provide clerical and registration support.