- Pocket talkers are available for patients who are hard of hearing
When Speaking to Someone Who Can't Hear Well:
- Attract the person's attention before you speak.
- Make sure there is enough light on your face so the person can try and read your lips.
- Do not shine a light on the person's face.
- Try to eliminate background noise.
- Speak directly to the person.
- Speak slowly and clearly; do not shout.
- Use facial expressions and hand gestures to emphasize your feelings.
- Please do not take the person's cochlear implant or hearing aid away.
- If all else fails, just use paper and pencil.
Interpretive Services can be requested and coordinated through your provider.