Patient Friendly Billing
We've tried to make the billing process as straightforward as possible.
Current patients and those new to our system may wish to review the following information to understand how insurance works with our system and what to expect after being treated in our facilities. If after reviewing these pages you have additional questions, please contact us.
Before receiving treatment at Nebraska Medicine there are a few steps patients may want to complete in order to make their experience more satisfying. This section of the website includes information about:
- Medicare secondary payer questionnaire
This section of Nebraska Medicine's website addresses correspondences that may be sent to a patient after they have received treatment at Nebraska Medicine. Details are provided to help patients understand basic information about:
- Expected statements
- Understanding insurance company’s explanation of benefits
- Understanding patient liability statement
- Scheduling an appointment with a patient financial counselor
- Understanding laboratory statements
- Instructions for patients with insurance coverage
- Instructions for patients with no insurance coverage
- Payment options
- Financial assistance opportunities
Nebraska Medicine bills your insurance company or companies and any other responsible third parties first. Once payments have been received from everyone else, we send you a bill for what's left.
How Do I Make a Payment?
- Payments may be made online, by phone or by mail.
- Online payments can be made within One Chart | PATIENT or on the bill pay website.
- Phone payments can be made by calling Patient Financial Services at (402) 559-3140 (local) or 1-888-662-8662 (toll free) from 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- You can mail payments by following the instructions on your statement. Please return the bottom portion of your bill with your payment.
- The forms of payment we accept are check, money order, or credit card (MasterCard, Visa, Discover, or American Express).
- If you are an employee of Nebraska Medicine you may make arrangements for payroll deduction by stopping at ACCESS Services or Patient Financial Services
I Can't Pay My Bill in Full. What Do I Do?
Nebraska Medicine offers different payment options, including a 0 percent line of credit through Commerce Bank.
Don’t ignore the bill or send in less than the full payment without contacting us.
Making less than a full payment without making prior arrangements with Patient Financial Services can cause your bill to progress through our collections process. This may include transferring your account to a collection agency which can show up on your credit report.
To discuss your bill and payment options, please call Patient Financial Services at (402) 559-3140 (local) or 1-888-662-8662 (toll free) from 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
I Was Never Treated at Nebraska Medicine. Why Did I Receive a Bill?
You may receive a bill from Nebraska Medicine even if you did not visit the hospital. Your physician may have sent a specimen to our hospital lab for analysis.
In order to serve patient needs, Nebraska Medicine participates in many insurance plans and networks. It is each patient’s responsibility to ensure their insurance will cover treatment at Nebraska Medicine.