You’ll receive a number of letters after receiving treatment at Nebraska Medicine, and you’ll likely have questions about detailed billing and payment options.
Following treatment, Nebraska Medicine bills your insurance company or companies and any other responsible third parties first. Once we have received payments from everyone else, we’ll send you a bill for what’s left. This process can take several months, so don’t panic if you don’t receive a bill right away.
Letters to expect
- An explanation of benefits (EOB) from your insurance company
- A patient Liability Statement from Nebraska Medicine
- Bills from individual physicians for their services
- And sometimes even bills from physicians you did not see, for services such as radiology imaging review, pathology specimen analysis, consultations or anesthesia during surgery
- You may also receive a bill from Nebraska Medicine even if you didn’t visit the hospital. In this case, it is likely a specimen was sent to our laboratory for analysis.
Understanding your insurance company’s Explanation of Benefits (EOB)
Your insurance company will send you an explanation of benefits summarizing the payment and the remaining balance you are expected to pay. If you have questions about the amount paid or not paid by your insurance company, please call your insurance company’s customer service number located on the back of your insurance card or on the Explanation of Benefits letter.
Understanding Your Patient Liability Statement
After we receive a payment from the insurance company, Nebraska Medicine will send you a patient liability statement for any remaining balance. The amount should match what was stated in the explanation of benefits letter you received from your insurance company. If there is a discrepancy between the two, please be sure to contact the hospital’s Patient Financial Services department between the hours of 7 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call Patient Financial Services at 402.559.3140 (or toll-free at 888.662.8662). Interpreters are available.
Patient Financial Services representatives are available for one-on-one meetings at the following locations:
- Nebraska Medicine East Campus Corporate Pavilion – 3333 Farnam St, third floor, Omaha, NE
- Clarkson Tower – 42nd and Dewey Ave, Omaha, NE
- University Tower – 42nd and Emile St, Omaha, NE
- Bellevue Medical Center – Highway 370 and 25th St, Bellevue, NE
- Village Pointe Health Center – 111 N. 175th St, MOB Building, 110, Omaha, NE
If you don’t have insurance
Several days after you are discharged from the hospital or receive outpatient services at a Nebraska Medicine location, you will receive a patient liability statement. Payment for services should be made upon receiving the statement, or you may contact Patient Financial Services to make payment arrangements at 402.559.3140 (or toll-free at 888.662.8662) between 7 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.
How we apply payments
When you make a payment, the money will go to pay your oldest outstanding bill unless you have given us a specific account number and date for a different bill. When paying your bill, the best way to pay a specific bill is to write the information on your check, or in the “amount paid” box on the payment form.
If you accidentally overpaid, or were overcharged, it will be caught when all our accounts are reviewed. We will refund you the difference if there are no additional outstanding charges. Please call us at 402.559.3140 if you notice a mistake or have concerns.
Payments to your account may be made using any of the following methods:
- Money order
- American Express
- Debit card
- Online at NebraskaMed.com via the One Chart | Patient portal
- If you are a Nebraska Medicine employee you may make arrangements for payroll deduction by contacting a financial counselor in Access Services.
We have partnered with Commerce Bank to offer patients and their families a line of credit to help arrange payments for unexpected medical expenses. Learn more about the line of credit and sign up online today, or call us at 402.559.3140 if you have questions.
Please return the bottom portion of your bill with your payment.
These files require Adobe Acrobat Reader