Recovery time for LASIK eye surgery
- Both eyes can be done at once. This how we and nearly all of our patients prefer to do it.
- How long will the correction last? Permanently. This means that the corrections we make during the surgery will stay improved. It's important to know that LASIK doesn't stop the natural aging process of your eyes. At some point, you may need glasses. This does not mean, however, that LASIK "wore off."
- Does LASIK ever need to be repeated? If your vision wasn't corrected as well as hoped, LASIK can be enhanced in certain circumstances.
- Can I wear contact lenses after surgery? LASIK generally won't impact your ability to wear contact lenses if you still need them. You can continue to use contacts if your LASIK procedure does not completely remove your need for contacts, and you don't want to undergo an additional treatment. You will need to wait at least four weeks to wear contacts to give your eyes time to fully recover from the procedure.
- When can I drive? The majority of people can drive the day after surgery, but it can take up to three days to fully recover. Nearly all patients who undergo LASIK achieve at least 20/40 vision within a day, which is what the Department of Motor Vehicles typically wants in order for you to drive.
- When can I return to work? Normally, you can return to work the next day. To be safe you may want to take at least 24 hours off after your surgery, especially if you work in dusty environments or have a very strenuous job. Try to give yourself a few days before scheduling a meeting or a stressful work event, especially if it would be a hassle to cancel because your eyes not yet feeling right.
Why choose Nebraska Medicine for LASIK surgery?
Nebraska Medicine eye-care specialist are trusted experts in LASIK and other refractive procedures, performing thousands of surgeries over the past decade. We offer bladeless LASIK surgery from fellowship-trained refractive eye surgeons with a goal of correcting nearsightedness, far sightedness and astigmatism so you have 20/20 vision or better.
Read more about LASIK or call 888.898.8662 to schedule your free consultation today.