Building a better future for cancer care — that's the goal of the Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center, a new flagship building for the Nebraska Medicine cancer network designed to house the patients, doctors and researchers who are changing the way we diagnose and treat cancer. Located on the Nebraska Medical Center campus, the new facility opened its doors in June 2017.
A joint project of Nebraska Medicine and the University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC), the Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center was designed entirely around the needs of a cancer patient to ensure the most convenient and comfortable care so patients can focus on healing and recovery.
From the early planning stages of the new cancer center, a patient and family advisory council was formed to ensure the center truly reflected the needs and priorities of patients and their families. This includes everything from the way the rooms are designed to the flow of the building, accessibility of services, technology, extra amenities, support services and the Healing Arts.
All of the proper support systems have been put in place to ensure we help patients with all aspects of cancer care, even after his or her treatment is over.
Here’s What is in the Cancer Center
- Quick lab draws located on the ground level.
- An outpatient center featuring clinics that includes surgical, medical and radiation oncologists, as well as supportive services such as social services, physical therapists and nutritionists.
- 24/7 Infusion Center, which serves as both a treatment center and a 24/7 urgent-care-type facility — a rare offering in the region.
- Treatment options and clinical trials found nowhere else in Nebraska.
- One Chart patient bedside program access, which provides patients and their families staying in the hospital with connection to their health care workers through the use of bedside electronic tablets. These tablets provide the patient and family nearly everything they would like to know about their care, including pictures and bios of their health care team, information about their disease, treatments, what they can expect during their stay, information about their personal vital signs and medications.
- Your own, private room for inpatient and infusion care.
- High-tech units and operating rooms geared specifically for treating cancer patients.
- Private dismissal area in the lobby offering added discretion and comfort for patients waiting to be picked up.
- Resource and Wellness Center is available to help navigate patients and families through the cancer journey.
- Free valet parking.
- On-site dining.
- A Healing Arts program, which includes motivating and meaningful works of art displayed throughout the facility that taps into elements that go beyond curing a disease to healing the human spirit and creating an atmosphere of hope and resilience.
Cancer Research Accelerating New Therapies
One of the differentiators of the Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center is the integration of scientists and clinicians, which allows them to work together in the evaluation of our cancer patients to design new treatments.
Doctors and researchers working in the same building, gives them ample opportunities to collaborate and share information. We think this will accelerate new advances and treatments and lead to improved outcomes, and someday, even a cure to cancer.
The Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center consists of a 10-story, 98-laboratory research tower named the Suzanne and Walter Scott Cancer Research Tower; an eight-story, 108-bed inpatient treatment center named the C.L. Werner Cancer Hospital; and a multidisciplinary outpatient center.
The Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center, a comprehensive team of more than 200 cancer experts covering all specialties across the cancer spectrum, there is no need to travel outside the region for cancer care.