The Child Life program at Nebraska Medicine was created to help children and their families understand the health care environment and develop age-appropriate ways to cope with the experience.
We can provide support to your family by:
- Helping to prepare a child for a surgery or medical procedure
- Easing fears through medical play, which can help a child gain a sense of control over their medical experience
- Distracting and comforting a child during an invasive procedure
- Supporting parents and siblings by helping them process emotions and providing education about what lies ahead.
- Supporting children who have an adult loved one in the hospital
- Providing educational play opportunities and activities to promote continued growth and development
- Planning special activities like events, outings, birthday parties or visits from volunteers to reinforce normalcy