Nebraska Medicine is the region's only medical center with a nationally certified heart specialist in heart failure.
Our expert cardiac team includes heart failure cardiologists who are certified in advanced heart failure and cardiac transplantation and specially trained to care for congestive heart failure patients. To determine your best treatment option, we provide a thorough transplant evaluation. This experience gives you the opportunity to learn more about our heart transplant team and program, while helping our experts get to know you and your lifestyle so they can develop the right plan for your health. Please schedule an appointment with one of our specialists to help determine if you're eligible for a heart transplant.
The following criteria will help determine if you are a transplant candidate:
- You have been diagnosed with cardiomyopathy, a disease in which the heart muscle becomes abnormal.
- You live with ischemic heart disease, also referred to as coronary heart disease, which is a hardening of the arteries.
- A diagnosis of hypertrophic heart disease, in which the heart muscle becomes thickened and weak.
- Severe decompensated inoperable valvular heart disease is a defect or damage in one of the four heart valves.
- You were born with congenital heart disease, an abnormality in your heart's structure.
- You have any other cardiac abnormalities that severely limit normal function and/or a mortality risk of greater than 50 percent at two years.
- You're currently dependent on a Ventricular Assist Device, and meet criteria for transplantation.
- Age younger than 70 years (Will consider 70 to 75-years old on case-by-case basis)
- Other treatment options have failed to improve your life-threatening heart rhythm disorder.
- Chest pain refractory to maximum medical and surgical therapy.
Are you eligible for a heart transplant?
If you, or someone you know, is interested in being considered for a heart transplant, please call 402.559.8080 or 800.974.3278 to schedule a consultation or complete our online transplant referral form.