Clarkson Family Medicine physicians specialize in medicine for the entire family: from obstetrics to newborn care, from adolescent medicine to geriatrics and everything in between. We are here to support family’s health care needs throughout their lives.
The mission of Clarkson Family Medicine Residency is to provide family medicine residents a high-quality education in a full-scope, patient-centered, friendly, community-based training program.
Located in Omaha’s historic Old Market, Clarkson Family Medicine is a patient-centered medical home (PCMH). Our multidisciplinary colleagues from Pharmacy, Nutrition, Social Work and Behavioral Health collaborate to provide comprehensive, team-based care all in one place.
The clinic operates Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. We have 16 exam rooms, a minor procedure room, treadmill, obstetric (OB) non-stress testing, OB ultrasound, radiology services, and a laboratory.
Procedures performed include:
- Colonoscopy and EGD
- Fracture care
- Joint injections
- Laceration repairs
- Minor lesion removal
- Point-of-care ultrasound
- Pulmonary function testing
- Skin lesion removal and biopsy
- Toenail removal
- Be a cost-effective provider of high-quality family centered health care
- Be recognized as a leader in academic excellence
- Recruit and retain exceptional faculty, staff and residents
- Educate family medicine residents to become highly skilled family physicians, with the intellectual and clinical skills to practice family medicine in a variety of urban and rural settings in Mid-America, with a commitment to:
- Family centered health care
- Continued acquisition of medical knowledge
- Medicine as a profession
- Community service
How to apply for residency
Applicants must apply through ERAS
- The application is submitted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). You can find our program on ERAS as Clarkson Regional Health Service Program #1203021498.
- Find the ERAS Website here
- Have graduated or will graduate from medical school in the past three years
- Have passed USMLE Step 1 or COMLEX Level I
- Have passed USMLE Step 2 – CK or COMLEX Level 2 – CE
- Are a U.S. citizen or have a valid visa and work permit
- Have clinical experience in the United States within the past 12 months.
- Application includes a letter of recommendation from a Family Medicine Physician
Interviews are offered after the ERAS application has been reviewed. Applicants will be notified by email if an interview has been offered.
Frequently asked questions
Does your program have board score requirements?
Favorable applicants have three or fewer cumulative fails in the USMLE/NBOME exam cycle. All parts of the examination must be passed within 10 years of passing the first exam.
Do you accept FMG’s in your program?
Yes, ECFMG certified. You must be a US citizen or have a valid visa and work permit.
Does your program require any U.S. clinical experience?
Yes, clerkships, observer/externships or rotational studies.
Does your program offer observer/externships?
Does your program offer medical student clerkships?
Yes, see the "How to apply for clerkship" tab.
When is the best time to apply?
We accept applications through ERAS from September to January each year
How many first-year positions does your program offer?
When should I take my Step II Boards?
Take Step II before December, to eliminate the possibility of not being ranked due to the delay of a program getting your results.
- HOI: $59,570
- HOII: $61,776
- HOIII: $64,293
- HOI: $300
- HOII: $400
- HOIII: $600
- Liability insurance
- Family health insurance
- Life/disability insurance for resident
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Lab coats and laundering
- Money for meals
- Reimbursement for USMLE/COMLEX Step 3 if taken within the first 18 months of residency
- Reimbursement strategy for ABFM exam
- Employee Assistance Program
- 20 days of paid time off per year
- Five CME days per year
Residents and their families are covered by the hospital's group health plan and accident plan, as it exists on the date of employment and as may be amended from time to time.
The hospital will provide term life insurance coverage with the death benefit equal to one times the resident's annual salary following the hospital employee benefit plan as it exists on the date of employment and as may be amended.
The hospital provides disability insurance for its residents following with the hospital employee benefit plan as it exists on the date of employment and as may be amended from time to time.
Residents are covered by liability insurance for all patient encounters during their assigned rotations and at the Old Market Health Center. "Tail" coverage is also provided for any claims arising after completion of the residency relating to patient care during residency.
Dental and Vision Insurance
Coverage is available as an additional benefit at the resident's option for a small, additional fee.
The Clarkson Family Medicine Residency offers a broad and flexible clinical curriculum, which can be individualized to each resident’s professional needs. Our residents often work one-on-one with an attending physician. These close interactions with primary care physicians and specialists allow for exceptional learning and a cooperative community hospital atmosphere.
We emphasize training that will prepare you for a broad scope of practice, enabling you to develop the medical and procedural skills for a variety of patients and levels of acuity. You may customize your schedule to pursue areas of interest such as obstetrics, rural and underserved populations, endoscopies and women’s health.
|ICU||Community Med||Inpatient Family Medicine|
|Inpatient Family Medicine||Geriatrics||Outpatient Family Medicine|
|Midlands Emergency Department||Gynecology||Orthopaedic|
|Nephrology||Inpatient Family Medicine||Pediatric Electives|
|Night Float||Inpatient Family Medicine||Practice Management|
|Orientation||Pediatric Emergency Medicine|
|Outpatient Pediatrics||Rural Family Medicine|
Night float is five (5) days, Sunday through Thursday night, usually for two weeks.
- ADDICTION MEDICINE
- ANESTHESIA / PAIN
- CRITICAL CARE MEDICINE
- EAR, NOSE AND THROAT
- EMERGENCY MEDICINE
- HEMATOLOGY / ONCOLOGY
- INDEPENDENT STUDY / FAMILY STUDIES
- INFECTIOUS DISEASE
- PEDIATRIC ORTHOPAEDICS
- PEDIATRIC OUTPATIENT
- PEDIATRIC PULMONOLOGY
- RURAL MEDICINE
- OPPORTUNITIES FOR SELF-DIRECTED LEARNING AND OTHER RESIDENT INTERESTS
Maximizing your residency experience
- Reach Out and Read program
- Little Free Library
- Open Door Mission affiliation and free clinic
- Omaha Pride Parade
- Asthma research study at Open Door Mission
- POCUS (point of care ultrasound) opportunities and interest group
- Regional presentations at Nebraska Academy of Family Physicians and other conferences
First Year Residents
Okoe Akoto, DO
Graduate of Kent State University in Kent, Ohio, Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences in Kansas City, Missouri, and Kansas City University College of Osteopathic Medicine in Kansas City, Missouri
Adeyinka O. Aladejare, MBBChB
Graduate of Obafemi Awolowo University College of Health Sciences in Ile-Ife, Nigeria, and University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston, Texas
Calin Dumitrescu, MD
Graduate of University of Wisconsin – Madison in Madison, Wisconsin, and Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Jelena Griffin, MD
Graduate of University of Zagreb – School of Medicine in Zagreb, Croatia
Jaime Pieper, DO
Graduate of Nebraska Wesleyan University in Lincoln, Nebraska, Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska, Rockhurst University in Kansas City, Missouri, and Kansas City University College of Osteopathic Medicine in Kansas City, Missouri
Second Year Residents
ETHAN COOK, MD, was raised in Pueblo, Colorado. He attended University of Nebraska – Lincoln in Lincoln, Nebraska, where he received a Bachelor of Science in biology. Dr. Cook graduated from University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, Nebraska. He enjoys science fiction, Formula 1 racing, tinkering with coffee and time with his family.
MELISSA DAVISON, MD, was raised in Auburn, Nebraska. She attended University of Nebraska at Kearney in Kearney, Nebraska, where she received a Bachelor of Science in biology. Dr. Davison graduated from University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, Nebraska. She enjoys running, reading, hiking, cake decorating and playing with her daughter.
MORGAN DeLOZIER, DO, was raised in Pleasant View, Tennessee. She attended East Tennessee State University in Johnson City, Tennessee, where she received a Bachelor of Science in microbiology. Dr. DeLozier graduated from Lincoln Memorial University – DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine in Harrogate, Tennessee. She loves traveling, exploring national parks, and hiking with her husband and their dog, Jarvis. When she wants to relax, she enjoys reading, doing jigsaw puzzles, playing board games and listening to music.
JOOHEE HAN, MD, was raised in Plymouth, Minnesota. She attended University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, Minnesota, where she received a Bachelor of Science in genetics and physiology. Dr. Han enjoys golf, tennis, skiing, yoga, bouldering, painting, traveling, and indulging in delicious food with family and friends.
JACQUELINE “JACKIE” HANSON, DO, was raised in Omaha, Nebraska. She attended University of Nebraska – Lincoln in Lincoln, Nebraska, where she received her Bachelor of Arts in psychology and a minor in art history. Dr. Hanson graduated from Kansas City University – College of Osteopathic Medicine in Kansas City, Missouri, where she also received a Master’s of Bioethics. She loves spending time with her husband, Nick, and their young son, Gavin. Can’t forget about her dachshund mix, Otto! Areas of interest are mental health and women’s health. Dr. Hanson’s hobbies include decorating the call room (i.e. Halloween explosion), soccer, sci-fi, drag shows and karaoke, and loves Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, LCD Soundsystem and Sylvan Esso.
SCHAE HANSON, MD, was raised in Burke, South Dakota. Dr. Hanson graduated from University of South Dakota in Vermillion, South Dakota, for both undergrad in biology and Spanish, and medical school. Her interests in medicine include OB-GYN, health care policy, and rural health care. In her free time, she attends book club, peruses antique stores/garage sales/Facebook Marketplace, walks her two corgis, Sybil and Maurice, watches horror movies and visits her family back home on the ranch.
Third Year Residents
DANIEL ALEKYAN, DO, was raised in Sacramento, California. He attended University of California – Davis in Davis, California, where he received a Bachelor of Science in neurobiology, physiology and behavior health. Dr. Alekyan graduated from Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences College of Osteopathic Medicine in Joplin, Missouri. Daniel enjoys trail running, exploring the outdoors, investing, cooking and spending time with his family.
RUBAB ALI, MD, was raised in Islamabad, Pakistan, and London, England. She received her medical education at Shifa College of Medicine in Islamabad. During her medical career, Dr. Ali has participated in several high-value care initiatives and care for the underserved. She speaks many languages and is published in several periodicals. Outside of medicine, Dr. Ali enjoys traveling, sketching, photography, cooking and spending time with friends and family.
ANYUN MA, MD, was raised in Hebei, China. She attended the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, Nebraska, where she received her Doctor of Philosophy in neurocardiac physiology. Dr. Ma earned her medical degree at Tongji University School of Medicine in Shanghai, China. Dr. Ma speaks English and Mandarin. She enjoys karaoke, Zumba, playing the fiddle, reading, cooking and crafting.
ERIN C. RAY, DO, was raised in Colorado Springs, Colorado. She attended the University of Nebraska – Lincoln in Lincoln, Nebraska, where she received a Bachelor of Science in biology. Dr. Ray received her medical degree from Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences College of Osteopathic Medicine in Kansas City, Missouri. She is a crazy cat mom with a spoiled cat. Dr. Ray enjoys kickboxing, attempting painting, traveling to places far and wide and hiking.
MADELINE S. TROUT, DO, was raised in Hays, Kansas. She received a Bachelor of Science in biomedical sciences from the University of South Alabama in Mobile, Alabama. Dr. Trout received her medical degree from Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine in Suwanee, Georgia. She enjoys classic movies, 1960s/70s rock music, hiking, traveling, trying different ethnic cuisines, cooking and baking and spending time with her two cats and husband.
MICHAEL J. TURCO, MD, was raised in St. Louis, Missouri. He attended Rhodes College in Memphis, Tennessee, where he received a Bachelor of Arts in religious studies and a Pre - Medical Studies Certificate from Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri. He received his medical degree from University of Missouri - Columbia School of Medicine in Columbia, Missouri. Dr. Turco enjoys weightlifting, martial arts, calligraphy, vocal music and aquarium keeping.
Let us introduce ourselves.
We are dedicated to propel you into your own practice. Here at Clarkson Family Medicine, we want to assure you we listen, care for and support our residents. Although we are teaching you, we are learning from you too.
Sarah A. Howard, MD - Program Director
- Board Certified in Family Medicine
- Graduate of Stanford University in Palo Alto, California, and Creighton University School of Medicine, Omaha, Nebraska
- Family medicine residency training at Clarkson Family Medicine Residency Program
- Practiced as a Family Physician in Hawaii for six years
- Faculty Physician since 2018
Les W. Veskrna, MD - Associate Program Director
- Board Certified in Family Medicine
- Graduate of University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, Nebraska
- Residency at Lincoln Family Medicine in Lincoln, Nebraska
- Program Director at Lincoln Family Medicine in Lincoln, for several years
- Faculty physician since 2019
Scott McPherson, MD – Clinic Medical Director
- Board Certified in Family Medicine
- Graduate of University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, Nebraska; residency at Carswell Air Force Base in Ft. Worth, TX
- Over 20 years of practice in Lincoln, Nebraska
- Faculty physician since July 2016
Dale R. Agner, MD – Faculty Physician
- Board Certified in Family Medicine
- Graduate of University of Washington in Seattle, Washington, and Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland
- Family Medicine Residency, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- Over 20 years of Practice as a Family Physician
- Faculty Physician since 2015
Jodi McQuillen, PhD, LICSW – Director of Behavioral Health
- Graduate of University of Nebraska - Lincoln
and University of Nebraska - Omaha
- Former assistant professor at University of
Nebraska - Omaha
- Over 15 years behavioral health practice
including inpatient, outpatient and primary care
Paul Glowacki, MD - Faculty Physician
- Graduate of University of Iowa College of Medicine in Iowa City, Iowa
- One Year internship at Clarkson Family Medicine in Omaha, Nebraska
- Residency at Genesis Quad Cities Family Medicine Residency in Davenport, Iowa
- Practiced as a Family Practice Physician in Fremont, Nebraska for 25 years
How to apply for clerkship
Medical student clerkship: We offer a four week clerkship that exposes students to the full breadth of family medicine while taking into consideration their special interests. Clerkships are available every month and are available to third and fourth-year medical students. If you are interested in a clerkship in family medicine, contact our program coordinator at 402.552.2050 or email email@example.com.
About Omaha and Nebraska
Omaha is a vibrant, attractive city that provides all the amenities of a much larger metropolitan area and yet, is family oriented and friendly. Omaha boasts an attractively low cost of living that is 19 percent less than the national average. Watch this video to find out more!
Blackstone District is a few minutes from the main campus whether you are in the mood for fresh flavors or classic cocktails.
Read the 2022 We Don't Coast digital magazine to learn more about our community.
Outside of Omaha, the state of Nebraska provides wonders and getaways from the hustle and bustle of the city. Check it out!
Have questions? Please reach out!