E-Consults can be ordered by Nebraska Medicine Providers. E-Consults are an asynchronous exchange of information to obtain clinical recommendations from a specialist without requiring an in-person office visit. This allows the specialist to evaluate the patient's medical record and respond to the referring physician, all within One Chart. Our goal is to improve access to specialty input while facilitating high-quality coordination and communication between providers.
E-Consults are intended for straightforward, low-acuity issues. At any time, a specialist can convert an E-Consult to a referral, and patients can request an in-person visit rather than an E-Consult. Both the referring provider and the specialist receive relative value units, or RVUs, for completed E-Consults.
Which specialists provide E-Consults?
We offer E-Consults to the following specialties:
- Ear Nose and Throat
- General Cardiology
- Infectious Diseases
- Surgical and Medical Weight Loss
What are the benefits of E-Consults?
For providers, E-Consults:
- Provide access to specialty input within three business days
- Formalize "drive-by" physician consultations and capture all relevant documentation
- Help reserve in-person specialty appointments for higher acuity patients
- Provide an opportunity to further physician training and education
For patients, E-Consults:
- Improve access to specialty care and reduce the number of unnecessary tests and visits
- Save the patient and their family travel costs, time and stress
- Are convenient and don't require the patient to have direct access to digital technology
What does an E-Consult cost the patient?
An E-Consult is a health care visit so there may be a fee for the E-Consult. Typically, it is less than the cost of an in-person visit with a specialist. Most major insurers cover the cost of E-Consults. Depending on the payer, plan and deductible, or other out-of-pocket expenses, the patient may see a bill from the requesting and responding provider. On average, a patient's out-of-pocket costs are:
- Medicare or Medicaid: typically, no cost
- Other insurance providers: $0 to $82
- Self-pay: $125 to $188
How do I get started?
For information on how to order an E-Consult through One Chart, see our E-Consult to a Specialty Tip Sheet.