What should you focus on to help relieve stress during this time of uncertainty? Spend time improving your relationships, sticking to routines and reflecting on what you're thankful for, says Steven Wengel, MD, a Nebraska Medicine psychiatrist. While not everyone will catch COVID-19, the vast majority must at least deal with elevated stress levels. During this 18-minute chat, Dr. Wengel offers specific things you can do to stay more serene.
Quick links to specific questions:
- 0:50: Opening remarks and Dr. Wengel's reaction to some statistics
- 1:48: What are some physical signs we are stressed?
- 3:30: How does media consumption affect our anxiety and stress?
- 4:54: What advice do you have for people who can’t leave home?
- 7:36: There are three R’s that can help us in this scenario... what are they?
- 11:05: How do start practicing mindfulness?
- 12:38: How important is it for people to let go of the idea of perfection?
- 13:53: How do I see a mental health professional without going into their office?
- 14:55: What type of resources are available if I’m feeling anxious or stressed?
- 16:26: Closing remarks