You're Not Alone, There's Help During Pregnancy and the Postpartum
Pregnancy and the postpartum period are not always happy and carefree. In fact, 10 to 15 percent of women experience depression during pregnancy or the postpartum. Many women also experience anxiety symptoms during this time which can make it hard to enjoy the experience fully. Sometimes, even planning for pregnancy can be anxiety provoking, especially if you have experienced depression or anxiety in the past. Luckily, you do not have to face this alone. At Nebraska Medicine, we have a group of professionals who specialize in the treatment of women during periods of hormonal transition.
Compassionate Care and Expertise
Our reproductive psychiatry team are board-certified psychiatric professionals with clinical expertise in the treatment of reproductive mood disorders. Sharon Hammer, MD, is the director of Reproductive Psychiatry at Nebraska Medicine.Dr. Hammer has more than 20 years' experience in her specialty. Marley Doyle, MD, is fellowship-trained in women's mental health and has four years of clinical experience in the specialty. She also has a special interest in obsessive-compulsive disorder during pregnancy and postpartum. Leigh Cook, APRN, has four years of clinical experience working in the area of reproductive mood disorders and has a special interest in working with women who have children in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).
We specialize in the treatment of mood and anxiety disorders during times of hormonal transition. These conditions include:
- Depression, anxiety and bipolar disorder during pregnancy
- Postpartum depression and anxiety
- Postpartum mania and psychosis
- Depression and anxiety related to childbirth trauma
- Perimenopausal depression and anxiety
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD)
- Pregnancy loss and grief
- Depression and anxiety related to infertility
Full Service Care
Our team provides a full range of services and works collaboratively with other partners in care. Services include:
- Preconception counseling regarding medication use during pregnancy and lactation
- Evaluation and treatment of mood disorders during pregnancy, postpartum and lactation
- Outpatient consultation provided to women who have children in the Nebraska Medicine Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
- Outpatient services at the Olson Center for Women's Health, and inpatient consultation for women on the Labor and Delivery (L&D) and Postpartum units at Nebraska Medicine
Accreditations and Awards
Nebraska Medicine is honored to be named to the 2017 edition of “100 hospitals and health systems with great women’s health programs” by Becker’s Hospital Review. The hospitals included on the list support award-winning programs in women’s health, breast cancer diagnosis and treatment, gynecology and women’s heart care. Nebraska Medicine is the only health care system in Nebraska to be included on the list.