Practicing good skin care habits is important not only to keep your skin looking healthy, but to delay aging and to help prevent skin problems. I recommend the following tips to help promote healthy skin.
Call 800.922.0000 to schedule an appointment.
- Wear sunscreen year-round, as well as wear photo protective clothing to reduce the development of wrinkles, brown spots and skin cancer.
- Apply sunscreen during the winter months when the sun’s rays can be even more intense as they bounce off of snow and ice.
- Eat a well-balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables that are rich in antioxidants, which can help your skin repair itself.
- Apply topical antioxidants like vitamins C and A, and Retinol, whichcan help heal damaged skin and reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
- Stay hydrated from the inside and out. Shoot for drinking six to eight glasses of water a day and apply a moisturizer immediately after showering to help lock in moisture.
- Avoid scented deodorant and antibacterial soaps, as well as hand sanitizers that include alcohol, which can be irritating to the skin and can remove natural oils.
- When possible, use moisturizers that are creams and ointments that come in jars rather than pumps.
- Add a few drops of essential oil to your lotion if you prefer a fragrance.
- Avoid hot showers, which can strip the moisture and natural oils from your skin.
- Limit your time in the shower and use warm water rather than hot.
- Smoking also damages the skin, by reducing its strength and elasticity.
- Consider running a humidifier in your home to replenish moisture in the air.
- Cover up when you go outside to keep cold temperatures and wind from drying and chaffing your skin.