If you need hand sanitizer and the store shelves are empty, you can make your own within minutes, with just a few ingredients.
Here's what you need to make your own hand sanitizer
Rubbing alcohol (91% isopropyl)
Aloe vera gel
Mixing bowl, spoon or whisk
An empty container, such as a three-ounce container from a travel toiletries kit
Essential oil (optional), if you want to add a fragrance to the sanitizer
Directions for making your own hand sanitizer
- Add 2/3 cup of rubbing alcohol to the mixing bowl.
- Add 1/3 cup of aloe vera to the bowl.
- Stir until the rubbing alcohol and aloe vera gel are well blended.
- Next, you can mix in eight to 10 drops of the optional scented essential oil, if you desire.
- Pour the hand sanitizer mixture into a small container and label it “hand sanitizer.”
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends using hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol content. If you want a sanitizer with a higher alcohol percentage, decrease the amount of aloe vera to 1/4 cup.
Watch this video from the Omaha World-Herald to see a demonstration of the proper way to use hand sanitizer.
Keep in mind, hand sanitizer is the second-best way to keep your digits germ-free. The best way is properly washing your hands.