You asked, we answered: Is there a home remedy for vaginal yeast infections?

Woman shopping in pharmacy aisle



What's a home remedy for having a vaginal yeast infection? Is there an oral pill or ointment option? 

Answer from OB-GYN Kelsie Cabrera, DO, MS:

For a vaginal yeast infection, you can use an over-the-counter medication, like Monistat. Monostat is a vaginal insertion in a cream form. There is also a pill form that just requires one dose, sometimes two. This is called Diflucan and is prescribed by a practitioner. 

If you try over-the-counter treatment, and it’s not improving, I recommend evaluation because sometimes those same symptoms can be related to different infections or other vulvar diseases.