Interpretive Services Purpose Statement
To ensure effective communication with its customers and to comply with The Joint Commission, ADA and other regulatory requirements, Nebraska Medicine will provide necessary accommodations where appropriate. Individuals with disabilities will not be excluded, denied services, segregated or otherwise treated differently from other individuals due to ineffective communication.
Nebraska Medicine Interpretive Services staff provides language interpretation and translation services to non-English speaking, deaf and hard of hearing patients and Nebraska Medicine staff.
We are here to help patients and staff with the following.
- Spanish Interpreters on staff 24/7.
- Interpreters facilitate communication between the provider and patient.
- Interpretive services are available to assist both physically and via phone for Nebraska Medicine.
- Staff interpreters contract interpretive services for the Hearing Impaired patients through the Nebraska Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.
- All other languages are accommodated through telephonic contract services.
- Staff Interpreters are the main dispatchers for the Latino community and Nebraska Medicine personnel.
- Interpretive Services staff requires the following patient information to assist patients and staff in a timely and efficient manner.
- Patient's Name
- Registration Number
- Phone number
- Staff interpreters assist nurses in the pre registration process for patients scheduled for surgery in Nebraska Medicine.
- Our goal is to make your registration as smooth as possible. To assist in this registration, please complete and return the pre-registration form (Spanish version) at least five days before your scheduled visit. You may prefer to call us at (402) 559-8697.
- Please contact your insurance company before your hospital visit to meet any pre-authorization requirements. If these requirements are not met, your benefits may be reduced, leaving you responsible for paying most or all of your hospital expenses. Patients covered by Medicare will also need to complete the Medicare Secondary Payer Questionnaire. (Spanish Version)
- Billing Inquiries
Staff interpreters provide assistance with patient billing inquiries, updating patient demographics, making payment arrangements and financial applications.
For billing inquires we require the following information.
- Name of person receiving invoice
- Nebraska Medicine account number
- Billing institution phone number
Monday - Friday, 800 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., call main office (402) 559-8697
Saturday/Sunday/Holidays - Please have the Operator page the Interpreter on-call
- The Interpretive Services office is located at the following location
Nebraska MedicineClarkson Tower, Patient Registration Offices(402) 559-8697Fax: (402) 559-7339
- Mailing Address
Admitting/Interpretive ServicesNebraska Medicine987530 Nebraska Medical CenterOmaha, NE, 68198-7530
- To schedule any interpretive needs during business hours call:(402) 559-8697
- Hearing Impaired
- Nebraska Medicine contracts Certified Sign Language Interpreters through the Nebraska Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. When possible it is preferable to schedule this service 24 hours in advance.
- Speech/Hearing Disability
- Nebraska Relay Service provides the vital link for effective communication between individuals with a speech and/or hearing disability and hearing individuals via telephone 24 hours a day seven days a week. To access the Nebraska Relay Service call 800-833-0920.
- Interpretive Services Cyra Com International Language Line
- Nebraska Medicine provides access to telephonic interpreters through this service for other non-English languages.
- Translations Services
- Nebraska Medicine's Interpretive Services offers translation services to facilitate patient education, consent forms, discharge summaries, etc. All written translations go through a tier proofing to ensure accuracy of translation. Depending on the length, complexity and cost of the document, the time for completion may vary. Submit all requests to the program coordinator via this online form. Priority will be given to time sensitive documents and special needs situations.
- Further Information
- If you would like more information on any of these services please contact Interpretive Services at (402) 559-8697
Difficulty Obtaining Services
If you experience any difficulties while trying to obtain an interpreter or other services contact Flower Nuñez, Interpretive Services coordinator at 559-2010, pager 888-4689 or Dana Ratigan, Clinical Manager at 552-3430, pager 888-2623