The Nebraska Medical Center provides a dynamic range of volunteer opportunities. Below are brief descriptions of a few of the opportunities we currently offer.
These are the opportunities available at The Nebraska Medical Center not at the Bellevue Medical Center. Thank you.
- Visit Candyland or land on Boardwalk as you provide play experiences for hospitalized children.
Clarkson Gift Shop and CornerStone Gifts
- Assist customers as they shop for gifts, flowers, candy and other merchandise at the gift shops.
- Become an integral part of various departments at the medical center by helping with clerical duties.
- Introduce groups to The Nebraska Medical Center and University of Nebraska Medical Center by guiding tours.
- Spend time with patients, give families support and perform a variety of other essential non-medical duties. Must be 18 years of age to volunteer.
Home Instead Center for Successful Aging
- Welcome guests to the center; oversee the waiting room and patient education area.
- Enhance customer service and comfort to patients by sharing items from the hospitality cart.
- Brighten patients’ days by hand delivering their mail.
- Provide activities for the little guest and their families in the waiting room.
Peggy D. Cowdery Care Center
- To assist patients of the oncology clinic by providing a calm atmosphere to decrease anxiety level for patients.
- Enhance the physical therapy experience by assisting the therapist with the patients as needed.
- Assist patients of the radiation oncology clinic and provide administrative support to staff.
- Help with special projects, various activities and events as the need arises.
Surgery Waiting Rooms
- Give support to families and serve as a liaison between families, surgical staff and physicians.
Weigel Williamson Center for Vision Rehabilitation
- To provide a positive introduction of the clients of the low vision clinic.
Opportunities - Additional Training and Requirements
Angel Hearts & Hands
- Community volunteers or groups who are interested in helping with knitting, sewing and crafting projects donate their talents.
- Help by driving guests, using your own vehicle, to nearby stores for necessities and comforts of home. Driving record will be checked and insurance verified.
- Assure patients are connected with their spiritual communities and/or medical center’s resources. An interview with a representative of Pastoral Care is required prior to placement.
- Eliminate one stress factor for patients and their caregivers by transporting them to and from the airport, bus depot, train station and hospital using your personal vehicle. Driving record will be checked and insurance verified.
- Give hospitalized patients the benefits of shared pet companionship. Your dog must be a certified pet therapy dog with a recognized organization to participate.
Red Nose Clowns
- Provide a cheerful and humorous diversion from the ordinary hospital routine. Must complete clowning certification and general clown training.
Clarkson Service League
- Further the Clarkson Service League's fund-raising endeavors by volunteering with the Clarkson Gift Shop, Santa's Preview and various other events
University Hospital Auxiliary
- Contribute your time and talent to assist the Auxiliary's activities such as Kaleidoscope, The Healing Garden, CornerStone Gifts and other special events