The Nebraska Medical Center provides a dynamic range of volunteer opportunities. Below are brief descriptions of a few of the opportunities we currently offer.
(These are the volunteer opportunities available at The Nebraska Medical Center. Bellevue Medical Center volunteer opportunities are listed separately. Thank you.)
- Be a welcoming presence to guests on the medical center campus and help them navigate their way through the facility.
- To assist the Child Life staff in providing diversionary activities for hospitalized children to help promote a positive sense of self-esteem and a positive hospital experience.
Clarkson Gift Shop and CornerStone Gifts
- Assist customers as they shop for gifts, flowers, candy and other merchandise at the gift shops. Proceeds from the shops are donated to support special projects at the medical center.
- Become a valued part of various departments at the medical center by helping with clerical duties.
- Support families and staff by performing a variety of essential non-medical duties. Must be 18 years of age to volunteer.
Home Instead Center for Successful Aging
- Welcome guests to the center; oversee the waiting room and patient education area.
- Enhance the comfort of adult patients and their guests by sharing items from the hospitality cart …Crossword Puzzles, Word Search, Magazines, Playing Cards, etc.
- Brighten patients’ day by delivering their mail and Well Wishers e-mails.
Peggy D. Cowdery Care Center
- Spend time with patients and their families during their visits to the center. Provide departmental assistance and support for staff.
- Enhance the physical therapy experience by assisting the therapist with patients as needed.
- Assist patients and families in the radiation oncology clinic and provide administrative support to staff.
- Help with special projects, activities and events as the need is identified in a variety of departments.
Surgery Waiting Rooms
- Provide hospitality to waiting families and serve as a liaison between families, surgical staff and physicians.
Village Pointe Caner Center / Life Renewal Center
- Volunteer assisting our patients, their families and our staff with the variety of services offered.
Weigel Williamson Center for Vision Rehabilitation
- Provide clients a positive introduction to the low vision clinic. Staff the front desk/reception area, provide departmental assistance as needed to staff and help with the adaptive device store.
Opportunities - With Additional Requirements
Angel Hearts & Hands
- Individual volunteers or groups who are interested in helping with knitting, sewing and crafting projects donate their talents. Projects include, but are not limited to, Prayer Shawls, Layettes, and Turbans.
- Drive guests of the medical center, trip to a selected area store for necessities and comforts of home using your own vehicle. Driving record will be checked and insurance verified.
- Ensures patients are connected with their spiritual communities and/or the medical center’s resources. An interview with a representative of Spiritual Care is required prior to placement.
- Eliminate one stress factor for patients and their caregivers by transporting them to and from area airports, bus depot, train station and medical center using your personal vehicle. Driving record will be checked and insurance verified.
Pet Therapy is utilized within healthcare facilities as a method of reducing stress incurred by hospitalization giving patients the benefits of shared pet companionship. Your dog must be a certified pet therapy dog with a recognized organization to participate.