If you are a UNMC or Clarkson College student, do not complete this process. See your program director if you need shadowing hours for your program.
If you are a Nebraska Medicine or UNMC employee, please contact the Office of Health Professions Education at email@example.com if you are interested in job shadowing.
Thank you for your interest in our job shadowing program! Whether you’re a high school student (age 16 and above), college student, or an individual exploring a second career, we welcome your interest in exploring a health care career.
Our Job Shadowing Program is designed to provide you the opportunity to:
- Observe the daily routines of our extraordinary professionals as they perform their jobs
- Explore health care career options
- Increase awareness of the skill sets required
- Experience our health care culture
You will be paired with a health care professional to observe and interact with them as they conduct their daily work. You will not have an opportunity to have hands-on patient care, just observe and ask questions. A job shadow experience is 2 – 4 hours in length. You may have a maximum of three job shadow experiences in three different areas in one year. If you need documentation of having done a job shadow, download the form and bring it with you on the day of your shadow so that the person you’re shadowing may sign it at the end of your time with them.
Available departments for shadowing
Advanced Practice Provider (Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant)
- Neurosurgery (Clinic Only)
- 5W Med/Surg (5W)
- Cardiac Progressive Care Unit (CPCU)
- Center for Wound Healing (CWH)
- Heart and Vascular Unit (7HVU)
- Hyperbaric Oxygen (HBO)
- Infusion and Treatment Center (ITC)
- Inpatient Wound Ostomy Services (IWO)
- Med/Surg- Werner Cancer Hospital (7WCH)
- Neuro (6CN)
- Ortho (Lied 4&5)
- Solid Organ Transplant (SOTU)
- Cardiology Clinic
- Cardiovascular/Thoracic Surgery (Clinic Only)
- Emergency Medicine
- Genetic Medicine
- Neurology Clinic
- OB/Gyn Clinic
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Radiation Oncology
- Trauma Surgery (Clinic Only)
Additional Departments Available for Job Shadowing
- Child Life (you must be 18 years or older and enrolled in Child Development related courses)
- Clinical Lab
- Clinical Nutrition
- The Diabetes Center
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Family Medicine (non-physician)
- Genetic Counseling (must speak with job shadow coordinator prior to scheduling)
- Interpretive Services
- Nuclear Medicine Technology
- Occupational Therapy
- Patient Financial Services
- Patient Access (Registration) Operations
- Pharmacy (Inpatient, Outpatient: Lauritzen Outpatient Center, Bellevue Medical Center, University Health Center- UNL)
- Physical Therapy
- Pulmonary Function Lab
- Radiation Oncology – Radiation Therapist
- Respiratory Therapy
- Speech-Language Pathology – Acquired Disorders (Speech –AD)
- Speech-Language Pathology – Congenital Disorders (Speech –CD)
- UNL - University Health Center (must be enrolled in college)
Working in a hospital requires health-care workers to be current on many vaccinations. Immunizations are required for the protection of the health-care worker, as well as for the protection of patients. As you proceed with a career in healthcare, it will be important to keep a file of your immunization records. Schools and health-care employers will require this information. Please see the following Centers for Disease Control (CDC) for information on recommended immunization schedules for each age group.
All job shadowing students on the medical center campus will be required to complete paperwork attesting to the current status of the following immunizations.
- Immunizations Required
- DPT/TDaP (Diphtheria, Pertussis, Tetanus)
- Influenza (Flu Shot)
- Hepatitis B
- Inactivated Poliovirus (Polio Vaccine)
- MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella)
- Varicella (Chicken Pox)
How to Apply
Our Job Shadowing Application process is automated. However, before you can schedule yourself into an available job shadow time slot, you are required to review important health, safety, and privacy information and complete/pass a 5 question quiz.
Please note that job shadow schedules are posted 6 weeks in advance to allow for staff scheduling and patient volumes so you will need to pre-plan your scheduled job shadow experience if you need it in order to meet a class requirement or professional school’s application deadline.