Telehealth at Nebraska Medicine
Across the country, telehealth encompasses a broad variety of technologies and tactics to deliver virtual medical, health, and education services. The Center for Connected Health Policy reminds us that "telehealth is not a specific service, but a collection of means to enhance care and education delivery.” It is no different at Nebraska Medicine.
Today, there are several and various technologies used to support and enhance care being delivered to patients who are at a distance from their provider. It is possible that these patients are located in a different community, or just across town, but the care is being provided to the patient when and where they need it.
It’s the same as Skype…right?
No. While the general technology concept used for Skype services is similar to what is used for telehealth services, it is important to understand that when considering using this technology for clinically-focused services, there are several additional considerations that must be anticipated. (licensure, credentialing, security, HIPAA, billing, etc.)
One of the first questions to consider is around what kind of services are to be delivered…and which technology would be optimal to deliver it in a manner to accomplish high level satisfaction for both patients and providers.
The telehealth department would be happy to visit with you about options and opportunities to consider as you plan.
Some of the distant care services currently being supported within Nebraska Medicine by various telehealth technologies include:
- Interactive videoconferencing to support specialty services in remote communities and across the Nebraska Medicine campus.
- Remote patient monitoring (RPM) to support patients as they learn to better manage their chronic diseases and improve their overall health. Watch this video to learn more.
- Video “house calls” with patients at home as they recover from surgery or need additional assistance in their care.
Whether you are just beginning to think about how to use telehealth in your area, or are in the active planning stages of project development, here are a few resources developed by the Nebraska Medicine telehealth department to assist in your understanding of work:
- Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Specialty Clinic Services
- Sample Workflow
- MyChart - Sending Vidyo Link to Patients
- Project Charter
- Presentation: How to Use the Technology – the Right Way!
- Rolls and Responsibilities
There are many organizations across the country dedicated to the growth and support of telehealth activities. Here are several resources developed by many of these organizations that could prove to be helpful as you consider developing and growing telehealth service opportunities.
- Key Issues – Great Plains Telehealth Resource & Assistance Center (gpTRAC)
- CMS Medicare Reimbursement Information Sheet
Mary DeVany – Director
Geri Tyson, RN – Program Manager
Call us at 402-552-6193 to schedule a demonstration or to visit about your ideas.
Location: 4th Floor, Lauritzen Outpatient Center