Dr. Mukherjee trained in Internal Medicine in the United Kingdom and the United States. He completed training in Gastroenterology and Transplant Hepatology in the United States and has worked at the University of Nebraska Medical Center since 2000. He also works as a Staff Gastroenterologist at Omaha Veterans Affairs Medical Center where he served as Chief of Gastroenterology and Hepatology from 2005-08.
Awards & Honors
- Marquis Who's Who in America 2008-09
- Top Teacher, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Nebraska Medical Center, 2007-2008
- Best Doctors in America 2007-08
- Listed in top 1% of cited authors for journals in Biology and Biochemistry for two consecutive years (2005 - 06) by Sandler Program for Asthma Research
- Research for Excellence in Gastroenterology and Liver Diseases (REGAL) Award 2005
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases Presidential Poster of Distinction 2005,2003
- University of Nebraska Medical Center Internal Medicine Resident Award 2003 (Awardee: A.Sanjeevi; Mentor: S.Mukherjee).
- American College of Gastroenterology Presidential Poster Award Recipient 2002
- Dr. Muhkerjees's research is focused in viral hepatitis, post-transplant recurrence of viral hepatitis and fatty liver disease.
Publications, Most Recent:
- Kneteman NM, Howe AYM, Gao T, Lewis TJ, Pevear D, Lund G, Douglas D, Mercer DF, Tyrrell DLJ, Immermann F, Chaudhary I, Speth J, Villano SA, O'Connell J, Collett M. HCV796: a selective NS5B polymerase inhibitor with potent antiHCV activity in vitro, in mice with chimeric human livers, and in humans infected with hepatitis C virus. Hepatology 2008 in submission.
- Stevens RB, Mercer DF, Grant WJ, Freifeld AG, Lane JT, Groggel GC, Rigley TH, Nielsen KJ, Henning ME, Skorupa JY, Skorupa AJ, Christensen KA, Sandoz JP, Kellogg AM, Langnas AN, Wrenshall LE. Randomized trial of single-dose vs. divided dose rabbit anti-thymocyte globulin induction in renal transplantation: an interim report. Transplantation. 2008 May 27;85(10):1391-9.
Research Grants and Contracts:
- REFINE: Randomized evaluation of fibrosis due to hepatitis C after de novo liver transplant. Sponsor: Novartis. Principal investigator
- PROTECT: Pegylated interferon alfa-2b and ribavirin after orthotopic liver transplantation: Sponsor: Integrated Therapeutics Group, Inc. Principal investigator
- A phase II, multi-center, randomized, open-label, dose-ranging, parallel group study of the anti-viral effects, pharmacokinetics and safety of Hepex-B, a mixture of two monoclonal antibodies, as compared to hepatitis B immune globulin in patients who have received hepatic allografts for hepatitis B virus infection. Sponsor: XTL Pharmaceuticals, Ltd. Principal investigator
- Betaine for the treatment of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Sponsor: University of Nebraska Medical Center Clinical Research Center. Principal investigator
- High dose ursodeoxycholic acid for the treatment of primary sclerosing cholangitis, Sponsor: National Institutes of Health. Co-principal investigator
Publications, Most Recent:
- S.Mukherjee, T.Mahomoudi. Liver transplantation for viral hepatitis and fulminant hepatic failure (in press).
- S.Mukherjee. Liver transplantation:therapy. In: Liver Transplantation: Rejection, Therapy and Post-Operative Complications. Editor: Knudsen KH. Nova publishers (in press)
- Controversies in liver transplantation for hepatitis C.
Mukherjee S, Sorrell MF.
Gastroenterology. 2008 May;134(6):1777-88. Review.
PMID: 18471554 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Successful Hepatitis C Eradication With Preservation of Renal Function in a Liver/kidney Transplant Recipient Using Pegylated Interferon and Ribavirin.
Mukherjee S, Ariyarantha K.
Transplantation. 2007 Nov 27;84(10):1374-5. No abstract available.
PMID: 18049127 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Mild donor liver steatosis has no impact on hepatitis C virus fibrosis progression following liver transplantation.
Botha JF, Thompson E, Gilroy R, Grant WJ, Mukherjee S, Lyden ER, Fox IJ, Sudan DL, Shaw BW Jr, Langnas AN.
Liver Int. 2007 Aug;27(6):758-63.
PMID: 17617118 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Noninvasive tests for liver fibrosis.
Mukherjee S, Sorrell MF.
Semin Liver Dis. 2006 Nov;26(4):337-47. Review.
PMID: 17051448 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Fatal liver disease despite sustained eradication of recurrent hepatitis C virus requiring liver retransplantation.
Transplantation. 2006 Jul 27;82(2):286-8.
PMID: 16858294 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Indocyanine green-revisiting an old friend. Second World Conference on Magic Bullets (Ehrlich II), Nurnberg, Germany, October 2008
- Treatment of hepatitis C after liver transplantation. First Annual World Summit of Antivirals, Kunming, China, July 2008
- Multidisciplinary management of liver transplant patients, Interprofessional/Quality Day, UNMC, Omaha, NE, February 5, 2008
- Treatment of hepatitis C after liver transplantation-is there hope? Fifth Anniversary Congress of International Drug Discovery Science and Technology, Xian, China, November 2007.
Professional Organization Memberships:
- Royal College of Physicians, Canada
- Dr. Muhkerjee is interested in viral hepatitis in pre- and post-transplant patients, fatty liver disease and ERCP.