Michael Sorrell, MD, is co-founder of the adult liver and small bowel transplantation program. He served as Medical Director of the Liver Transplant Program and as Chief, Section of Gastroenterology/Hepatology at the University of Nebraska Medical Center until 2004. Currently, he holds the appointment of Robert L. Grissom Professor of Medicine.
He earned a bachelor of science degree from the University of Nebraska at Lincoln and his medical degree from the University of Nebraska Medical Center. (UNMC). He completed an internal medicine residency in 1968 and a gastroenterology residency in 1969 at UNMC. He was the driving force in securing the necessary funding to build The Lied Transplant Center. He is board certified in internal medicine.
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Association of Professors of Medicine
- Academic career development award #AM 70316, National Institute of Arthritis, Metabolism and Digestive Disease, January 1972-December 1976
- 1980 University of Nebraska Award for Outstanding Research and Creative Activity
- 1990-91 President, American Association for the Study of Liver Disease
- 1997 Dean's Award for Outstanding Contributions to the College of Medicine
- 1999 American Association for the Study of Liver Disease Distinguished Service Award
- 2002 President, International Liver Transplant Society
Publications, Most Recent:
- Ethanol metabolism results in a G2/M cell-cycle arrest in recombinant Hep G2 cells.
Clemens DL, Calisto LE, Sorrell MF, Tuma DJ.
Hepatology. 2003 Aug;38(2):385-93.
PMID: 12883482 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Ethanol promotes intestinal tumorigenesis in the MIN mouse. Multiple intestinal neoplasia.
Roy HK, Gulizia JM, Karolski WJ, Ratashak A, Sorrell MF, Tuma D.
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2002 Nov;11(11):1499-502.
PMID: 12433735 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Clemens DL, Sorrell MF, Tuma DJ. Inhibition of Cyclin-Dependent Kinase 1 (CDC2) by Ethanol Metabolism. Hepatology 36 (4) part 2: 446A, 2002.
- Kharbanda KK, Mailliard ME, Beckenhauer HC, Tuma DJ, Sorrell MF, Barak AJ. The Effect of Betaine Administration on S-Adenosylmethionine and S-Adenosylhomocysteine Levels in Hepatocytes from Ethanol-Fed Rats. Hepatology 36 (4) Part 2: 399A, 2002.
- Gilroy RK, McCashland TM, Mukherjee S, Lyden E, Grant W, Schafer DF, Sorrell MF, Mejia A, Sudan D, Langnas A, Shaw BW. Analysis of Sirolimus in Liver Transplantation, the Effect on Chronic Renal Dysfunction, Adverse Effects and Allograft Rejection. Hepatology 36 (4) Part 2: 185A, 2002.
- Mukherjee S, Gilroy RK, McCashland TM, Schafer DF, Zetterman RK, Sorrell MF. Pegylated- Interferon and Ribavirin for Recurrent Hepatitis C after Liver Transplantation - A Preliminary Analysis. Hepatology 36 (4) Part 2: 184A, 2002.
- Mukherjee S, Gilroy RK, McCashland TM, Schafer DF, Zetterman RK, Sorrell MF. Impact of Interferon - Alpha 2b and Ribavirin on Liver Fibrosis for Recurrent Hepatitis C in Liver Transplantation - A Single Center Experience. Hepatology 36 (4) part 2: 180A, 2002.
- Expression and cytoskeletal association of integrin subunits is selectively increased in rat perivenous hepatocytes after chronic ethanol administration.
Schaffert CS, Sorrell MF, Tuma DJ.
Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2001 Dec;25(12):1749-57.
PMID: 11781508 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- In vitro exposure to malondialdehyde-acetaldehyde adducted protein inhibits cell proliferation and viability.
Willis MS, Klassen LW, Tuma DJ, Sorrell MF, Thiele GM.
Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2002 Feb;26(2):158-64.
PMID: 11964554 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Elucidation of reaction scheme describing malondialdehyde-acetaldehyde-protein adduct formation.
Tuma DJ, Kearley ML, Thiele GM, Worrall S, Haver A, Klassen LW, Sorrell MF.
Chem Res Toxicol. 2001 Jul;14(7):822-32.
PMID: 11453728 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Conquering hepatitis C, step by step.
Schafer DF, Sorrell MF.
N Engl J Med. 2000 Dec 7;343(23):1723-4. No abstract available.
PMID: 11106723 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Effects of alcohol consumption on bone metabolism in elderly women.
Mukherjee S, Sorrell MF.
Am J Clin Nutr. 2000 Nov;72(5):1073. No abstract available.
PMID: 11063430 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Liver transplantation and organ procurement.
Sorrell JH, Sorrell MF.
Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 2000 Aug;2(4):265-7. No abstract available.
PMID: 10981022 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Recent Book Chapters:
- Langnas A.N., Donovan J.P., Sorrell M.F., Zetterman R.K., Antonson D.L., Stratta R.J., Fox I.J., Heffron T.G., Markin R.S., Pillen T.J., Shaw B.W.Jr. Liver transplantation at the University of Nebraska Medical Center from (1985) to 1992. Terasaki PI, Cecka JM. (eds), Clinical Transplants 1992, Los Angeles, CA: UCLA Tissue Typing Laboratory: (1993) Chapter 15.
- Sorrell M.F. and Donovan J.P. Liver Transplantation. Internal Medicine 4th Edition. Trier, J. (ed), Mosby Year Book, (1993) 643-646 .
- Schenker S, Perkins HS, Sorrell M.F. Should a Patient With End-Stage Alcoholic Liver Disease Have a New Liver? Clinical Medical Ethics Cases and Readings University Press of America, (1994) Chapter 41.
- Tuma D.J., Sorrell M.F. The Role of Acetaldehyde Adducts in Liver Injury in Alcoholic Liver Disease. Hall, P (ed). Hodder & Stoughton, Kent England (1995) Chapter 5.
- Schafer D.F., Sorrell M.F. Vascular Diseases of the Liver. Gastrointestinal Disease 6th Edition. Sleisenger and Fordtran (ed), WB Saunders, (1996) Chapter 70.
- Donohue T.M., Tuma D.J., Sorrell M.F. Plasma Protein Metabolism in Hepatology. Zakins, D. and Boyer, T.D. (eds.), Hepatology:A Textbook of Liver Disease 3rd Edition. Saunders, (1996) Chapter 5.
- Faust T.W, Sorrell M.F. The Role of TIPS in the Management of Variceal Bleeding. Clinics in Liver Disease. LaBrecque (ed), WB Saunders, (1997) 85-98.
- Donovan J.P., Sorrell M.F. Fulminant Hepatic Failure. Therapy of Digestive Disorders. M. Michael Wolfe, M.D. (ed), WB Saunders, (1997) Chapter 33.
- Mailliard M., Sorrell M.F. Alcoholic Liver Disease. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine 16th Edition, 1999
- McCashland T.T., Sorrell M.F. Immediate Postoperative Management of the Liver Transplant Patient. Primer in Transplantation. 1999.
- Sorrell MF, Watt KD. Alcohol-induced Liver Disease, Atlas of the Liver, 3rd ed, 2003.
- Maddrey WC, Sorrell MF (eds). Transplantation of the Liver, 3rd Ed. Appleton and Lange, Norwalk CT (2000).
Professional Organizational Memberships
- American Association for the Study of Liver Disease
- International Liver Transplantation Society
- American College of Physicians
- American Gastroenterology Association