Dr. Vargas' clinical interests focus on liver and intestinal transplantation, neuroendocrine tumors, pancreatobiliary disorders, and auto islet cell transplants.
Awards & Honors
- M3 Clerkship Award for Enthusiasm in Teaching
- Travel Grant Award at the Xth International Small Bowel Transplant Symposium (Santa Monica, CA)
- Honors in Family Practice Third Year Clerkship
- Honors in first year Anatomy Course
- Honors in first year Biochemistry Course
- Mexican American Physician Association Scholarship
- St. Mary's University Dean's List
- Research Fellow in Transplantation
Process and perform Elisa assays on small bowel transplant effluent, perform RT-PCR and immuno-histochemistry on small bowel biopsy samples. Develop Excel database of small bowel transplant recipients. Analysis of small bowel transplant database.
Dr. Debra L. Sudan and Dr. Wendy J. Grant.
- New England Bio Labs Molecular Workshop
Study of Fibronectin and its role on wound healing. Responsibilities: Transfect bacteria with the fibronection plasmid and purify the protein product from the cultured organisms.
Dr. Bjorn Steffenson
- Study the effects of mutant Apolipoprotiens and its effects on Athrogenesis. ResponsibilitiesL Isolate DNA and RNA from tissue samples, perform PCR, gel electrophoresis, and sourther blot transfers.
Dr. Bharthi Guntupalli
- Study the role of Annexins I & II in cell proliferation. Responsibilities: Transformation of cells and perform gel electrophoresis, flow cytometry studies and cell culture. Development of Poster presentation.
Dr. Jamboor K. Vishwanatha
- Development of Peptide Nucleic Acids as inhibitors for RNase Enzymes
Responsibilities: Perform solid phase polypeptide synthesis, column chromatography, high performance liquid chromatography, thin layer chromatography analysis, NMR analysis of peptide products, UV spectroscopy, and computer modeling of proteins. Development of poster presentation.
Dr. Chyau Liang.
Publications, Most Recent:
- Calprotectin: a novel noninvasive marker for intestinal allograft monitoring. Debra Sudan, Luciano Vargas, Yimin Sun, Gerard Dijkstra, Alan Langnas. Annals of Surgery 2007, August; 246 (2):311-5.
- Interim analysis of stool calprotectin for intestinal allograft monitoring. Vargas LM, Sun Y, Grant WJ, Langnas AL, Sudan DL. Xth International Small bowel Transplant Symposium (Santa Monica, CA). September 2007
- Interim analysis: Stool calprotectin levels for non-invasive monitoring of the Intestinal allograft. Vargas LM, Sun Y, Langnas AL, Sudan DL. 2007 Academic Surgical Congress (Phoenix, AZ). February 2007.
Professional Organization Memberships:
- ASTS - American Society of Transplant Surgeons
- ILTS - International Liver Transplantation Society
- NANETS - North American Neuroendocrine Tumor Society
- AHPBA - American Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association