Dr. Abdullah is a cardiac surgeon with a medical degree from Harvard Medical School in Boston, MA. He completed his residency in general surgery at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania as well as a residency in cardiothoracic surgery at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, MA. He also completed a fellowship in congenital cardiac surgery at Children's Hospital in Boston, MA.
Awards, Honors, and Memberships in Honorary Societies:
- 2012 - American Association of Thoracic Surgery Leadership Academy (4/2012)
- 1998 - 99 - Lifeline Foundation Grant
- 1995 - 96 - Phi Beta Kappa
- 1995 - Nominee for the Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship for Outstanding Achievement in Mathematics and Science
- 1995 - Mathematical Contest in Modeling (one member of a team of three representing Harvard nationally)
- 1993 - 96 - John Harvard Scholarship
- 1992 - Actuarial Minority Scholarship (second place in the nation on the course 100 exam administered by the Society of Actuaries)
- 1992 - U.S. Physics Team Training Camp at the University of Maryland
- 1992 - Salutatorian, Stuyvesant High School
- 1992 - ARISTA (National Honorary Society, Stuyvesant High School, NY)
- Jacot JG, Abdullah I, Belkin M, Gerhard-Herman M, Gaccione P, Polak JF, Donaldson MC, Whittemore AD, Conte MS: Early adaptation of human lower extremity vein grafts: wall stiffness changes accompany geometric remodeling. Journal of Vascular Surgery 39 (3): 547-55, 2004.
- Gruber PJ, Li Z, Li H, Worrad D, Huang B, Abdullah I, Wenge W, El-Deiry W, Ferrari V, Zhou R: In vivo imaging of MLC2v-luciferase, a cardiac-specific reporter gene expression in mice. Acad Radiol. 2004 Sep;11(9):1022-8.
- Abdullah I, Lepore JJ, Huang B, Epstein JA, Parmacek MS, Gruber PJ: MRL mice fail to heal myocardium in response to ischemia-reperfusion. Wound Repair Regen. 2005 Mar-Apr; 13(2):205-208.
- Gruber PJ, Fuller S, Cleaver KM, Abdullah I, Gruber SB, Nicolson SC, Gaynor JW, Wernovsky G, Spray TL: Early results of single-stage biventricular repair of severe aortic hypoplasia or atresia with ventricular septal defect and normal left ventricle. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2006 Aug;132(2):260-3.
- Abt PL, Abdullah I, Korenda K, Frank A, Petereman H, Stephenson GR, Markmann JF, Shaked A, Olthoff KM: Appendicitis among liver transplant recipients. Liver Transpl. 2005 Oct;11(10):1282-4.
- Augoustides JG, Abdullah I, Pochettino A, Hanson CW. Inhaled prostacyclin for the management of pneumonia in a patient with cyanotic heart disease with superior cavo-pulmonary connection. Ann Card Anaesth. 2007 Jan;10(1):51-3.
- Granger A, *Abdullah I, Huebner F, Stout A, Wang T, Huebner T, Epstein JA, Gruber PJ: Histone deacetylase inhibition reduces myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury in mice. FASEB J. 2008 Oct;22(10):3549-60.
- Mick SL, Abdullah I, Tchantchaleishvili V, Razo Vazquez AO, Gilfeather MS, Balcells, E, Chen FY: Sewing needles embedded in the cardiac interventricular septum and chest wall. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2010 Sep;140(3):709-10.
Abstracts, Posters, and Presentations:
- Abdullah I, Lepore JJ, Huang B, Epstein JA, Parmacek MS, Gruber PJ: MRL mice do not regenerate myocardium. Pennsylvania Muscle Institute Twelfth Annual Retreat and Symposium: muscle growth and regeneration, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, April 26, 2004.
- Abdullah I, Lepore JJ, Huang B, Epstein JA, Parmacek MS, Gruber PJ: MRL mice fail to heal myocardium in response to ischemia-reperfusion injury. First Annual Symposium of the American Heart Association Council on Basic Cardiovascular Sciences: stress signals, molecular targets and the genome, Stevenson, WA July 14-18, 2004.
- Abdullah I, Lepore JJ, Huang B, Epstein JA, Parmacek MS, Gruber PJ: Epigenetic Modifications Reduce the Severity of Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury in the Murine Heart. Keystone Symposia: molecular biology of cardiac diseases and regeneration, Steamboat Springs, CO, April 7, 2005.
- Gruber PJ, Fuller S, Cleaver KM, Abdullah I, Gruber SB, Nicolson SC, Gaynor JW, Wernovsky G, Spray TL: Early results of single-stage biventricular repair of severe aortic hypoplasia or atresia with ventricular septal defect and a normal left ventricle. Western Thoracic Surgical Association 31st Annual Meeting, Victoria, British Columbia, June 24, 2005.
- Augoustides JG, M.D., Abdullah I, M.D., Pochettino A, M.D., Hanson CW: Successful Management of Life-Threatening Hypoxemia with Inhaled Prostacyclin in an Adult with Cyanotic Congenital Heart Disease. American Society of Anesthesiology Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA October 25, 2005.
- Abdullah I, Cohn LH: A 43 year old female presenting with palpitations and syncope. Harvard Combined Cardiothoracic Conference. Children's Hospital Boston, Boston, MA, May 7, 2010.
- Abdullah I, Aranki SF: Aortic Graft Pseudoaneurysm. Harvard Combined Cardiothoracic Conference. Beth Israel Deaconness Medical Center, Boston, MA, June 17, 2010.
- Abdullah I, Craig J, Emani S: A mitral mass in the setting of Marfan Syndrome. Harvard Combined Cardiothoracic Conference. Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, January 20, 2011.
- Abdullah I, Nathan M: Management of massive cerebral air embolism during cardiopulmonary bypass. Perfusion Morbidity and Mortality Conference. Children's Hospital Boston, Boston, MA, January 26, 2011.