Transplant Center History
The specialists in our Liver Transplant Program have been performing groundbreaking surgeries and innovative treatment options for patients with both primary and metastatic liver cancers. Patients who were once deemed inoperable are provided new hope and life.
- The Transplant Center reached a major milestone in 2008 by performing its 5,000th transplant since the programs inception.
- The Nebraska Medical Center is one of just a few centers in the nation to formally develop an Intestinal Rehabilitation Program (IRP).
- Our transplant programs are home to some of the most experienced and dedicated health-care professionals providing extraordinary transplantation care.
Since its inception in 1985, the Liver Transplant Program has been an innovator and leader in adult and pediatric liver transplantation. In 2005, the program reached a milestone shared by very few centers in the country by having performed more than 2,000 liver transplants.
- The innovative research and surgical procedures for living-donor transplantation in both our Kidney and Liver Transplant Programs is helping to address the shortage of donors and reduce patient waiting time for transplant.
- Founded in 1970, The Nebraska Medical Center's Kidney Transplant Program performed the first kidney transplant in Nebraska. Today, it is one of the most active programs in the Midwest.
- The Nebraska Medical Center is the only medical center in the region with both Medicare designated heart transplantation and an integrated Joint Commission certified heart failure program.
In 1999, the Lied Transplant Center was opened. A partnership between the University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC) and The Nebraska Medical Center, it provides UNMC researchers and multidisciplinary health-care professionals greater opportunities for interaction and collaboration. This unique environment allows our clinicians and researchers to develop innovative practice models in transplantation that are often essential to provide optimal care.
- In 2007, the Intestinal Transplant Program performed more intestinal transplants than any other program in the country.
- In 1990, the Intestinal Transplant Program was developed and among the first to begin performing combined liver and intestinal transplants. In 1993, the program became one of the first to perform isolated intestinal transplants.