Click on the category below for instructions or documents relating to the specific type of patient transfer
The Patient Placement Unit will facilitate all patient transfer requests to Nebraska Medicine.
Please contact us when you need to:
- Transfer a patient from your emergency department to Nebraska Medicine for an inpatient stay
- Transfer a patient from your hospital inpatient bed to Nebraska Medicine inpatient bed
The Patient Placement Unit staff will:
- Triage your call to the appropriate physician by asking you the following questions:
- Would you like to transfer to a specific physician or service?
- Would you prefer an academic or private physician group
- Complete the details necessary for admission
- Coordinate& expedite nursing unit and bed arrangements for the patient
- Partner with you to gather necessary paperwork to complete the transfer process
- Contact you when a bed has been assigned
- Partner with the transport service to provide support & guidance en route to Nebraska Medicine
Our goals are to:
- Provide comprehensive service for physicians wishing to transfer a patient to Nebraska Medicine
- Use a multidisciplinary approach to quickly evaluate transfers
- Expedite appropriate patient transfers
Please call the Medical Call Center when you would like to consult with one of our physicians.
The Medical Call Center:
- Provides 24-hour physician consultation service
- Will ask a series of brief questions to expedite transfer to the appropriate physician / practice group
To request the transfer of a trauma patient (adult or pediatric), call 402-559-6637.
- MATERNAL CONSULTATION OR TRANSPORT CALL 800-557-5589
- NEONATAL CONSULTATION OR TRANSPORT CALL 888-559-4442
The perinatal obstetricians at Nebraska Medicine collaborate with physician throughout the area to help manage a variety of high risk conditions including premature labor, premature rupture of membranes and all other maternal high risk conditions.
The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit offers state-of-the-art technology including procedure rooms for on-site surgery and extra corporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO).
In consultation with a neonatologist, babies are transported by helicopter or ambulance in partnership with LifeNet. The transport team includes registered nurses specifically trained in stabilization and transport and are certified in S.T.A.B.L.E® and Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP).