Managing diabetes is much more than simply monitoring blood sugar levels. The successful management of diabetes means committing to a life-long wellness plan. Education is focused on seven self-care behaviors identified by the American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE) for successful management of diabetes.
Diabetes Education Team
Certified diabetes Educators specialize in case management and can assist with:
- Reducing HbA1C levels 2 percent on average
- Creating a personalized and relationship-based plan of care
- Defining individual goals and identifying specific needs
- Joni Pagenkemper, MS, RD, LMNT, CDE
- Kristina Volkmer, Exercise Physiologist
- Marilyn Miller, BSN, RN, CDE
- Pat Stanton, RN, CDE
- Sandi Nimmo, BSN, RN, CDE
- Sarah Keegan, RD, LMNT
- Meghan McLarney, RD, CDE
Visit each of the American Association Diabetes Education (AADE7™) Self-Care Behaviors sections of the website to download useful worksheets to help in maintaining control of your diabetes.
Medicare and most insurance companies provide benefits for diabetes education. Review educational benefits with your insurance provider. Visit the class calendar and register for a class. Scholarship may be available to those who qualify.
This is an informal interactive group support taught by diabetes professionals. Participants will receive:
- A free blood sugar meter
- Ongoing support
Management of gestational diabetes includes meal planning, monitoring and blood sugar guidelines during pregnancy. Includes free blood sugar meter.
Spanish classes available.
This one-year program is a proven lifestyle change intervention that has been shown to prevent or delay type 2 diabetes in high-risk patients.
This is behavioral change for individuals wanting to lose 10 to 30 pounds and begin an active lifestyle. It is intended to prevent or manage pre-diabetes.
A lively cooking session based on healthy eating using nutritious recipes. Tasting required!
Introduction to Insulin Pumping
Explore the steps to successfully managing diabetes to navigate an insulin pump.
Continuous Blood Glucose Sensor
Learn the concepts of continuous glucose sensing and current sensors available.
Participate in one-on-one counseling with a case manager, certified diabetes educator (CDE).
Blood Sugar Group
Learn pattern management and how to safely adjust your medications.
Attend a free support group to share your thoughts and ideas about diabetes.
Trusted Online Diabetes Resources
- American Diabetes Association
- American Association of Diabetes Educators
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
- Nebraska Diabetes Prevention and Control Program
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) – Diabetes
- Hormone Foundation
- UNMC Section of Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Health Library