Patients seeking cancer care at Nebraska Medicine soon realize they are not alone but have a large team of specialists working on their behalf. The medical center often refers to this approach to care as "multidisciplinary."
Within each disease area a dedicated team of nurses, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, physicians, surgeons, registered dieticians, psychologists, and social workers discuss treatment options for each individual based on a particular patient’s history, the state of their disease. Frequently, treatments may involve a combination therapy from several sub-specialty areas. The multidisciplinary approach to care has become a best practice across the healthcare industry.
Nebraska Medicine Cancer Center provides comprehensive cancer care for breast cancer, Gastrointestinal (GI) cancers, rare and complex cancers, Leukemia, lung cancer, Lymphoma, head and neck cancers, pediatric cancers, Prostate cancer, gynecologic cancers, hematologic diseases, bone and marrow stem cell transplant and brain and spinal cord tumors.
The cancer program is nationally recognized for their robust surgical oncology, chemotherapy and radiation treatments. Support services help patients cope with their disease in each step of treatment. Treating the patient as a whole, the medical center’s cancer care extends beyond treatment. The Survivorship Program transitions cancer survivors back into the standard health-care system.
Accreditations and awards
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN)
- National Cancer Institute (NCI) Designation
- Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT)
- Accreditation of Radiation Oncology by American College of Radiology (ACR)
- American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer
- First hospital in the state to receive the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska, Blue Distinction Center for Complex and Rare Cancers
Nebraska Medicine heart and vascular services provide specialty heart programs to patients in Nebraska, Missouri, South Dakota and Iowa. Programs available at the medical center include heart attack, chest pain, heart failure, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease/asthma, arrhythmia, adult congenital heart disease, pneumonia, valvular disease, deep vein thrombosis, carotid/arterial disease, heart transplantation, electrophysiology and cardiac rehabilitation.
Accreditation and awards
- Only Joint Commission “Gold Seal of Approval” in state for Congestive Heart Failure and Acute Myocardial Infarction (heart attack) programs
- Chest Pain Center Accreditation with Percutaneous Coronary Interventions (PCI) from the Society of Chest Pain Centers
- Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Echocardiography Laboratories (ICAEL)
- Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Vascular Laboratories (ICAVL)
- American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS)
- American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehab
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- JD Power and Associates “Outstanding Cardiovascular Experience” distinction, three consecutive years
Nebraska Medicine services patients in Nebraska, Iowa, South Dakota and Missouri with specialty neurological programs including stroke, epilepsy, Multiple Sclerosis, brain surgery, spine surgery, neurosurgery, brain and spine tumors, pain management, Alzheimer’s disease, essential tremors, Huntington’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, restless leg syndrome, tourette’s syndrome and Dystonia.
Accreditation and awards
- The American Heart Association and the American Stroke Gold Plus status for the Get With The Guidelines® Stroke Performance Achievement
- Joint Commission (JC) first nationally certified stroke center in the state of Nebraska
- National Association of Epilepsy first and only hospital in the state qualifying as a Level 4 (highest) designation
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska, Blue Distinction Center for Spine Surgery Program
- Nebraska Medicine is a Huntington's Disease Society of America Center of Excellence
Nebraska Medicine is home to one of the most reputable and well-known solid organ and blood and marrow transplant programs in the country. Our state-of-the-art transplant programs provide comprehensive treatment for diseases that affect the liver, intestine, kidney, pancreas, heart and blood. The intestinal rehabilitation program offers new hope to patients awaiting transplant. Through education, research and innovations in clinical medicine, the medical center’s leaders shape the field of transplantation.