The Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee voted to add Fosfomycin (Monurol®) to the inpatient formulary with Antimicrobial Restrictions, effective May 1, 2011. In order to make this medication available as a formulary agent for the general medical staff and to ensure appropriate usage, the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee has approved the following restrictions to fosfomycin use:
- Single dose fosfomcyin for simple cystitis in uncomplicated UTIs can be used without restriction
- Use for any other indication or duration requires documented sensitivity to the agent
- Bacterial isolates are not routinely tested for susceptibility to fosfomycin but susceptibility testing is available by request in the microbiology laboratory (Please contact 552-2090 if this is desired)
- The agent will not be dispensed for use until susceptibility has been documented
- Interpretive standards for susceptibility to fosfomycin are only available for E. coli and Enterococcus faecalis.
- An ID consult is strongly recommended for all uses outside of simple cystitis