It is the policy of Nebraska Medicine that all contact with news media will be carried out through the media coordinator or designated staff in the Marketing, Strategic Planning and Media Relations Department. Nebraska Medicine has adopted the following policy for contact with the news media in order to centralize the point of contact in facilitating and providing service to reporters, to assist in the management of situations involving the news media and to provide for increased protection of confidentiality of patients and staff.
I. Initial contact made to news media
- The media coordinator or designee in the Marketing, Strategic Planning and Media Relations Department of Nebraska Medicine will initiate all contact with the news media.
- Nebraska Medicine employees and medical staff members with story ideas
should relay those ideas to the media coordinator or designee in Corporate Communications.
- The media coordinator or designee will then contact the news media if appropriate.
- The media coordinator or designee will work with the appropriate physician/staff/patient for coordination of contact between themselves and the news media.
II. Audiovisual recording or interviewing by news media
- Permission to film, videotape, photograph or interview physicians, staff or patients at Nebraska Medicine should be coordinated through the media coordinator or designee in Marketing, Strategic Planning and Media Relations.
- Patients who are filmed, photographed, videotaped or interviewed should sign a Media Authorization Form (CON-0043). All consent forms for such are the responsibility of the Marketing, Strategic Planning and Media Relations department and will be filed by that office accordingly.
III. Media Visits
- The media coordinator or another member of the Marketing, Strategic Planning and Media Relations staff will escort media representatives through the duration of their visit to campus.
- News media who arrive at Nebraska Medicine unannounced or unplanned should be directed to the hospital main lobby where they may wait until a representative of Marketing, Strategic Planning and Media Relations can be notified and be
- The media coordinator should notify security of planned news media visits during business and non-business hours, with information regarding the visit.